wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - analytic constant complex functions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 2nd, 2024, 7:18am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   complex analysis
(Moderators: Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus)
   analytic constant complex functions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: analytic constant complex functions  (Read 10067 times)
fightnu

analytic constant complex functions  
« on: Mar 4th, 2009, 5:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello ....

could anyone give me a hint on this problem
" if g(z) is a bounded analytic function on the complex plane except at z=0, I need to prove that g  should be constant " ?

I tried to prove that  a new function,say  
h(z)=(z^2 )g(z)  has the form h= c z^2, so g should be constant,,, but I couldn't prove this;;

can any one help me in  that

Sad
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: analytic constant complex functions  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2009, 10:38pm »

What do you know about isolated singularities?  You need to show that z=0 is neither a pole nor an essential singularity.

The general result is that if f(z) is analytic and bounded in a neighborhood of a, then z=a is a removable singularity.  There is a version of Cauchy's theorem that says:

Suppose f(z) is analytic in some disk D, with the exception of a finite set of a points ai, but that at each point, (z-ai) f(z) 0 as z ai, then f(z)dz = 0 along any closed curve in D \ {ai}.

Let F(z,w) = (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w).  For fixed w 0, this function satisfies the conditions, so if we fix a circle around 0,
f(w) = f(z)/(z-w) dz
holds for w 0.  But the RHS is an analytic function of w inside the circle, so the singularity has been removed.
IP Logged
MonicaMath

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2009, 12:34pm »

thenk you for replay

I t is cleare using the idea of removable singularities. But I'm trying to prove it without using this idea as I mentioned it in the first post of the problem.

anyway thank you
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2009, 3:26pm »

To show that h(z) = z2 g(z) is a polynomial of degree 2, you can use the generalized Liouville's theorem you asked about before.  And since h(0) = h'(0) = 0, g(z) must be a constant.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »